How are Americans doing when it comes to the dental health of the 65+ population? Well, the good news is that the rate of dental cavities in the elderly has decreased in the past thirty years. The bad news is that there are still a lot of issues that need to be addressed, such as:
- 25% of people age 65+ have no remaining teeth
- Nearly 20% have untreated cavities
- 10% of adults 65 and over have moderate to severe periodontal disease.
- There is evidence to suggest that advanced gum disease is linked to diabetes, heart disease, stroke and respiratory disease
- Most older Americans don’t have dental insurance
Addressing Senior Dental Health in Midlothian
Clearly, there is room for improvement. What vital elements will improve the oral health of age 65+ Americans? The National Institutes of Health cite three needed components:
- Improved oral health education for the elderly
- Seniors practicing effective daily oral hygiene
- Increased access to dental care
At White & White in Midlothian, we are enthusiastic about providing our elderly patients with comprehensive oral health education and attentive care that addresses the special challenges that impact seniors. These challenges include difficulty brushing and flossing due to arthritis, dry mouth caused by prescription medications, tooth sensitivity, bone recession, and complications due to diabetes, heart disease, and cancer.
Improved Dental Health in Midlothian
We want our elderly patients to not only have a healthy smile, but a beautiful one as well. Many of our senior patients have elected to improve their smiles with procedures such as crowns, dental bonding, porcelain veneers, dental implants, and tooth whitening. The majority of our smile redesign patients are thrilled with their new smile and report that it has improved their life immensely. They feel happier, more attractive, and more confident in social settings due to improved oral health in Midlothian. The confident team at White & White provides the full spectrum of general and cosmetic dental health for Midlothian area patients of all ages including Six Month Smiles, general dentistry, and porcelain veneers. Call today to schedule your consultation.