At White & White in Midlothian VA, we see patients who have struggled with insufficient sleep for months or even years. Some of them are diagnosed with sleep apnea.
You Can’t Just “Tough It Out”
Some of these people are reluctant to pursue professional help. This is unfortunate, because sleep apnea is treatable, and takes such a high toll on their health and quality of life.
Sleep apnea is characterized by pauses in breathing. It can happen repeatedly through the night, and last from a few seconds up to a minute. It deprives the brain of oxygen, and is associated with high blood pressure, diabetes, heart problems, and other serious conditions.
There are several types of sleep apnea:
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea: Throat muscles soften and cover the airway. This is the most prevalent type.
- Central Sleep Apnea: The brain doesn’t send signals to the muscles that regulate breathing.
- Complex Sleep Apnea Syndrome (Treatment-emergent Central Sleep Apnea): A combination of the conditions described above.
Signs of Sleep Apnea
- Loud snoring
- Abrupt awakenings where you are choking or feel “out of breath”
- Pauses in breathing while sleeping (as evidenced by another person noticing the behavior)
- Sore throat or dry mouth after sleeping
- Restless sleep
- Falling asleep while performing normal daily activities
- Inability to concentrate during the day
- Depression and irritability
- Awakening with a headache
- Extreme fatigue
At White & White in Midlothian VA, we provide effective sleep apnea treatment. If you or a loved one suffers from sleep apnea, or even if you just suspect it, call us for a consultation. We also provide cosmetic, general and family dentistry.
Contact White & White:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):