The powerful, precise, highly-concentrated beam of light initially known as Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation (LASER) is so ubiquitous that the acronym has now been relegated to lower case.
Lasers are used in everything from weapons to barcode scanners. They have increased efficiency and advanced technology in numerous industries such as communications, manufacturing, and essentially every branch of science. Today’s post focuses on how lasers have impacted dentistry.
Lasers are now used in many cutting-edge Virginia dental practices for a broad range of procedures. Lasers allow dentists to be extremely precise when working on both tooth and gum tissue.
Dentists use lasers to:
- Remove decay while preserving more intact tooth material
- Firmly attach bonding material to a tooth
- Remove oral lesions or obtain tissue for biopsies
- Reshape receded gums
- Eliminate bacteria while performing root canals
- Increase the effectiveness of tooth whitening agents
Dental patients benefit with:
- Fewer stitches – some surgical procedures require no sutures when a laser is used
- Faster healing
- Lower risk of infection
- Decreased damage to surrounding tissue/bone
- Less pain – eliminates the need for anesthesia in many procedures
Pranee White, and Darrell Guttery, DDS, employs advanced dental technology with seasoned expertise to serve our valued patients. At White & White, we believe that every man, woman, and child deserves a beautiful smile and a lifetime of oral health.
For questions about laser dentistry, Six Month Smiles, general dentistry or porcelain veneers, call 804-302-5592 today to schedule a consultation at White & White in Midlothian. We are located at 1690 Huguenot Rd.